Ever since I upgraded my PS3’s hard drive from a paltry 60 GB to 320 GB, I’ve been getting these “Cannot Start. The correct hard disk was not found.” errors. Not every day, but at least twice per week. It’s quite annoying when you’re trying to activate Remote Play via the PSP and have it not connect because the PS3 encountered this error.
I had enough and decided to seek answers. After spending a few minutes with Google, it looks like I’ve found it.
After reading this excellent post from the European PlayStation boards, I had found my answer. It’s true that I’ve never encountered the error twice in a row and I’ve always thought it was some form of recognition error more than anything else. I just never thought it was because the PS3’s I/O controller wasn’t quick enough to force my hard drive to work in SATA 1.5 Gbps mode. So following the diagram below, I placed a jumper and forced my Seagate Momenus 5400.5 320 GB hard drive to SATA 1.5 Gbps mode.
The image is courteousy of Seagate’s support site.
So far, it’s been working smoothly. I’ll update this page if I encounter further problems.