E3 2009 officially starts on June 2nd and as per normal, there were leaks
This year’s E3 2009 may be decidedly less surprising thanks to numerous leaks. Many of the leaks centralized around Sony and Microsoft. I’m going to take some time brief you all on some of noteworthy ones.
PSP go Confirmed
After 1UP’s story, confirmation from Ars Technica’s mole, the June 2009 edition of Sony’s very own Qore “online magazine” confirmed the PSP go. It was not on purpose and the dude responsible for PlayStation Network Store releases will surely be reprimanded for this accidental release.
- 3.8 inch screen (compared to the PSP-3000’s 4.3 inch)
- 43% lighter than PSP-3000
- 16 GB of onboard storage memory
- Expandable memory via Memory Stick Micro
- Bluetooth support
- No UMD
- Considered the “premium” product and will not replace PSP-3000
- Releasing in Fall 2009
- Aimed for smaller, download only games
- Software to coincide with the release to include
- Gran Turismo PSP
- Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 2
- Jak & Daxter
- Little Big Planet PSP
Check out the photos via:
- NeoGAF’s PSPgo Thread
Needless to say, this will be at E3 2009.
PS3 Slim Confirmed (Again)?
Early leaks of PS3 Slim was subjected to a lot of scrutiny. The Ars Technica mole said it was going to happen and thanks to PSP go leak, that PS3 Slim is all, but confirmed. Why? That box.
At the very least the PSP go’s box and the PS3 Slim’s box is consistent in design which makes sense if Sony is trying to refresh the PlayStation brand.
Will it be at E3 2009? No. Two hardware announcements at one event is too much. And if the PS3 Slim isn’t ready for immediate release, there will be a whole slew of PS3s sitting on store shelves.
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 2 for PSP Confirmed. What About New Metal Gear PS3?
Teased by Kojima Production’s website and hinted via a Famitsu PS3+PSP cover, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 2 and whatever the Metal Gear PS3 game will be. If you needed more confirmation on MGS:PO2, just watch that PSP go Qore episode.
As for Metal Gear PS3? What could it be? The teaser site is hinting something involving Raiden. Or could it be something else completely. It’s highly possible that Metal Gear PS3 could be substantial downloadable content for Metal Gear Solid 4 since the PlayStation.Blog did hint at something for MGS4’s one year anniversary.
Other Plausible Appearances
- Trico – Team Ico’s next game which had an old trailer leak earlier.
- Gran Turismo 5 – It’s about time the full thing is detailed
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves – More single player as the multiplayer beta launches during E3 2009
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time – More gameplay details concerning the time mechanics
- MAG – Zipper Interactive’s 256 player shooter needs a showing
- God of War III – Single player may be playable
- Heavy Rain
- Xbox 360 Motion Camera – Think Wii-mote’s motion sensing, but without a Wiimote and using a camera. It was rumored by many, but when the Wall Street Journal is running with it, it has be true.
- Lionhead’s Next Game – Not Fable 3; new IP
- Metal Gear Solid 4 + Oxide – Finally after all the rumors, the Xbox 360 will most likely receive its version of MGS4. Oxide? Perhaps its additional content like when Kojima Productions released Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance.
- Halo: Reach – Another Halo game? Maybe it’s from that internal Halo team that Microsoft Games Studio was assembling? Why Halo: Reach? Because Bungie.net’s forum “accidently” revealed the addition of a “Halo: Reach” sub forum.
Other Plausible Appearances
- All Points Bulletin – From Realtime Worlds, the makers of Crackdown, comes what many dub the “GTA MMO”.
- Halo 3: ODST – We haven’t seen much of this
- Forza Motorsport 3 – So many leaks already, but this video takes the cake.
- Alan Wake – Dude! Almost reach Duke Nukem Forever levels of infamy. Will this game finally show up?
So little info on Nintendo. They’ve been relatively leak free, but let’s delve in anyways.
- Pikmin 3 – Miyamoto did say he was working on it last year
- Pokemon Gold + Silver remake for Nintendo DS
- Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks for Nintendo DS
- A new Zelda for Wii – Twilight Princess didn’t count since it was a GameCube title as well. It makes sense to have a real Zelda game for Wii.
- WiiFit 2 – More WiiFit would be fitting.’
Phew. That was a bit tiring, but worth it. I’m missing a bunch of rumors and stuff, but why get into it all? E3 2009 is just around the corner and it’ll all be confirmed, disproved and clarified then. For now, enjoy the early confirmations and rumors!