Today is iPhone OS 4.0 conference day. Engadget was there to transcribe the info, but if you’re lazy or would like a bulletpoint version the new info, here it is.
- Over 100 new user features including Bluetooth keyboards, Home screen wallpaper, spell checker, wake on wireless and more
- 7 tentpole features unveiled
- Multitasking – Sever services including background audio, background location, VOIP, Local notifications, Push notifications, Task completion, fast app switching
- Folders – Now can organize apps with folders and place them on the dock etc.
- Unified inbox – All your e-mail accounts in one inbox, can organize by thread, fast inbox switching, open attachments with apps
- iBooks – eBook reader, book store, sync page and book marks across platforms
- Enterprise – Better data protection, mobile device management, SSL VPN support, Exchange Server 2010 support, wireless app distribution
- Game Center – “Xbox Live!” for iPhone OS 4.0 including leaderboards, friend invites, matchmaking & achievements
- iAd – New in-app mobile advertising platform which includes more interactive ads which developers can buy “ad space”,
- Release windows:
- Coming Summer for iPhone & iPod Touch
- Coming Fall for iPad
- Certain iPhone OS 4.0 features (ie: multitasking) will only work with iPhone 3GS & 3rd generation iPod Touch devices. (Poor iPhone 3G owners)
Pretty darn exciting features coming for iPhone OS. I wonder if the iPad will get exclusive features or not. It may actually convince me to let go of my complaints and get one .