GAF was set a blaze by this thread containing claims of a Wii successor being unveiled at this year’s E3.
Details, unsurprisingly, are scarce. Here’s what they’ve all been saying thus far:
- More powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
- Support 1080p resolutions
- Backwards compatible with Wii software
- Possible new controller with HD screen built-in
- Hoping to recapture the “hardcore” audience
- Targeting 2012 release
So it’ll be more powerful than Sony’s and Microsoft’s current offerings, but how long will that last? How long before the other two reclaim the performance crown? A year or two tops?
I’m excited for the backwards compatibility and hope they’re working on some visual enhancement capabilities. I know that’s asking a lot, but Super Mario Galaxy deserves to be running in HD without the use of an emulator on the PC.
Other than that, I can’t wait to find out more about this successor. In retrospect, I’m also pleased that I didn’t pull the trigger on a second Wii back during Boxing Day 2010.
P.S – Mr. Davison, you were right.