» » » 8GB of RAM works with Macbook 5,1 (Late 2008)

8GB of RAM works with Macbook 5,1 (Late 2008)

posted in: Technology News | 6

apple-logo.pngThis post is to give you, traveler of the internet, the answer I spent days looking for:

“Yes. You can install 8GB of DDR3 1333 in a Macbook 5,1 (Late 2008)”

And all 8GB of it is recognized by Mac OS X Lion.

Here are the steps I took to ensure things went smoothly.

1. Purchased these 4GB x 2 memory modules by G.SKILL (1333 MHz should downclock to 1066 Mhz)
  2. Ensure the Macbook had the latest EFI & SMC firmware installed (Software Update should have taken care of this)
  3. After installing the memory modules, performed a PRAM & NVRAM reset

That’s it. Nothing secretive about it.

Now to be fair, I just finished installing the memory for my brother’s Macbook. Things could go completely bonkers over the next few days. I’ll keep this post updated if things go south.

6 Responses

1. dmrschmidt

Hey, I was planning on doing the same with my MB5,1. So since you didn’t post any further updates I take it, everything works smoothly and the 8GB get used correctly?

• Anonymous

Yeap. It’s been several days and not a single problem!

• Coen

Could you specify the ram characteristics, since the link won’t show the actual ram you mention and since? Live abroad and will surely have to by another product number. Planning on trying this as well this week.

2. rctid89

Thank you so much!  Found a great deal on new egg for the ram you suggested for $35 .. after I bought, saw all through the comments that it wasn’t working in macbook 5,1 and started to worry .. resetting the PRAM and NVRAM must be the missing step for everyone. Works like a charm

3. Jay Mykytiuk

I just installed 8GB of DDR3 1333 in my October 2008 MacBook5,1

Previous RAM was 4GB DDR3 1066. When I checked System Profiler after installing, it reported correctly. “8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3”. Is it actually operating at 1333 MHz, or is the bus limited to 1066 MHz? I’m inclined to think if it reports correctly that’s how it’s operating, but that’s from a PC BIOS perspective.

• No_Style

I’m not entirely sure. I assumed it is since OS X tends to report very accurate details about their hardware in the System Information