Mechwarrior 2: 31st Century Combat was the first PC game I’ve ever owned. I loved it, but not as much as Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries which was also my first experience with an online game.
I got deep into the Mechwarrior/Battletech franchise. Reading novels about the universe and even started a clan website on the now defunct Xoom web hosting service.
So imagine the pleasant feeling I got after I read the news tidbits about Piranha Games’ revival of the Mechwarrior franchise. It was was once a multiplatform title, but was transformed into a free to play game aptly dubbed Mechwarrior: Online. And it’s exclusive to the PC.
Here are some highlights:
- It’s a first person mech sim
- Free to play, but nothing that will yield a tactical advantage can be purchased with real money
- Take place before the clan invasion of the Inner Sphere in the year 3049
- Real time story; daily story progression
- More tactical than a shooter
- Launches mid 2012