THQ wasn’t sold to another company when it filed for bankruptcy; that plan fell through and a month later they’re dead. Fortunately many of THQ’s top properties and studios found new homes but not everyone was so fortunate. The most significant casualty of all this is the end of Vigil Studios who developed the DarkSiders franchise.
Here’s what was sold, who bought it and for how much:
- Relic Entertainment (Company of Heroes) was purchased by Sega for $26 million
- Volition (Saints Row, Red Faction) was purchased by Koch Media (publisher of Dead Island) for $22.3 million
- “Evolve” developed by Turtle Rock Studios (Left4Dead 1 & 2) was purchased by Take-Two Interactive for $11 million
- “Metro” franchise was purchased by Koch Media for $5.8 million
- “South Park” license was purchased by Ubisoft for $3.2 million
- THQ Montreal (incl. Patrice Desilets) was purchased by Ubisoft for $2.5 million
- “Homefront” franchise was purchased by Crytek for $500,000
Honestly this covers most of what I’ve come to know THQ for and it’s good to know that most of it is going somewhere. Legacy IP like Red Faction and Homeworld will be auctioned off at a later date.
Good bye Toys Headquarters. Thanks for giving a valiant effort towards the end of your life.