Today it was about pre-orders for me. I was checking in on Amazon.ca for the PlayStation 4 to go back up and refreshing FutureShop to see when they will get their act together and put up the recently announced titles.
My haul is as follows:
- The Order: 1886 – Santa Monica Studio & Ready At Dawn. New original IP. Neat setting. It’s about time Ready At Dawn got their hands on high end console development.
- Infamous: Second Son – Second Son looks to be a wonderful evolution of Sucker Punch’s franchise. The protagonist is also voiced & modeled after the prolific and talented Troy Baker.
- Battlefield 4 – The more I see, the more I’m reminded of the transition between Unreal Tournament 2003 & Unreal Tournament 2004. It’s not going to be wholly original — just a precision refinement and enhancement of an established idea.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts – I haven’t seen anything revolutionary for this franchise but what the hey? It’s the first Call of Duty game to run in a high definition resolution.
- Killzone: Shadow Fall – I was done with paying over $20 for a Killzone game after Killzone 3. The multiplayer ran awful on the PS3 which casted a shadow over anything Guerilla does when they cannot control all the variables. Then I saw how pretty it was and couldn’t resist a showcase piece for the new console.
- Destiny – It does remind me of Borderlands but there’s something about it that draws me to it. I’m not sure if it’s the look, the size or the fact that it leans so heavily into the online element. Hell, it could just be the fact that it is the next Bungie title.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds – I’ve never played A Link to the Past, so I thought to myself: “What better way to experience LTTP then to play its sequel”. I should really play LTTP before this arrives.
The next set of titles are for the Wii U which I will not own until 2014 arrives. I’m also banking on a price cut to make Nintendo’s console much more appealing. Give it to me for $199, Nintendo.
With so many Nintendo exclusive titles coming, I decided to pre-order some of the first party titles and hold onto them. Nintendo first party titles retain their MSRP for a long time, so I’m hoping these discounted titles will remain discounted when I eventually get that Wii U.
- Bayonetta 2 – The original was a ridiculous and over-the-top character action game that was an absolute joy to play and I expect the sequel to top it. I even prefer her with short hair.
- Super Mario 3D World – It’s a sequel to Super Mario 3D Land without the restrictions of a handheld. I don’t expect it to be the next Galaxy game but I do have high hopes for it.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze – Okay. I didn’t finish the original yet but I eventually will. I swear. I’m a little disappointed that this is what Retro Studios is working on but I still expect it to be phenomenal
That’s not everything that I’m pre-ordering but it is a lot already. Oh man, there are so many games…