A New Nintendo 3DS XL was always in the cards but not at the price of $229.99. But when Amazon.ca fudged up and discounted the “New Red” version down to $139.99, I couldn’t refuse.
I actually ordered this nearly 3 weeks ago and had my doubts that Amazon.ca would honor their snafu but to my surprise it arrived. After a couple of days of using it, here are some rapid fire observations
Hardware & Styling
- Glossy finish is a fingerprint magnet
- Lighter than the original 3DS XL
- Slightly larger footprint than the original 3DS XL
- Screen hinge is significantly sturdier
- Slide pad/joystick has a bit more resistance
- Receded front loading cartridge a better decision (I’ve accidentally unloaded the cartridge on the 3DS XL because of the flushed nature of the cartridge slot)
- Relocating the volume controls to the left side of the screen was also a plus
- I love how quick everything loads compared to the original 3DS XL
- The screen quality is noticeably better
- Speakers are a little louder
- 3D is noticeably more stable but it’s still not perfect
I would also like to note how long it took to perform a wireless transfer from my old 3DS XL. I watched three and a half quarters of Thursday Night Football before the transfer completed. Fortunately, Pikmin were on screen making light of the excruciatingly long transfer process.
I still have more to test out including the C-Stick and the additional shoulder buttons but all I’ve done was play Theatrhythm. I have Xenoblade Chronicles but I’m not quite ready to check it out yet.
I’m almost done with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I can see the final confrontation in the distance but I just have to wrap up some story threads before embarking on it. Next, it will be Halo 5 with Call of Duty: Black Ops III not far behind.