Here are some random wireless tips and tricks that I discovered/learned. I picked these up while trying to tweak and improve my own Wireless Ethernet Bridge’s performance on my E4200 router running Tomato firmware.
- ‘Singapore’ region unlocks channels 1 – 13 plus raises the transmit power limit of the wireless transmitters.
- ‘Japan’ region enables channel 14 but it actually does cap transmission speed to 802.11b speeds (11 Mbps)
- Some wireless clients like the iPhone 4S support channel 13 without region changes while others like the PlayStation 3 will not pick it up at all.
- Higher transmit power does not always offer better range or performance.
- 802.11n speeds require at least WPA2 Personal + AES
That’s all for now.