» » Troubleshooting the Electrolux EW30IS6CJSB

Troubleshooting the Electrolux EW30IS6CJSB

So your expensive Electrolux Induction range is beeping and has the dreaded error E15 code flashing on the instrument panel and you’re looking for workaround, fixes and answers.

Well, after spending 3 years or so scrounging for answers, I have finally put this issue to rest. Here are my suggestions ranging from simplest fix to most expensive. This issue plagued my parents’ Electrolux EW30IS6CJSB Induction Range but these fixes may be applicable to other models as well.

Clean the Rubber Gasket

Many owners in the comments have suggested that you clean the rubber gasket around the control panel as a first step. Unfortunately, my rubber gasket was already clean and it didn’t resolve my issue.

Lock the Touch Panel

Early on, the error E15 and beeping was popping up after the stove top was used. I was able to get away with simply locking the instrument panel by using the “Control Lock” function. This would suppress the beeping and eventually the E15 code would clear.

Power Cycle Range

In time, the error E15 code and beeping became more prevalent and locking the instrument panel wasn’t enough. Turning off the range at the circuit breaker for 10 minutes would clear the error for a brief period of time.

Error E15 vs E15 + F15

If the issue persists, it’s time to look into replacing parts. I was in the fortunate situation where I had access to a fully functioning range that I could swap parts with. With this in mind, I began digging into documentation and forums.

I found the “Factory Parts Catalog” here (PDF: 5995594321)

This is what the “Service Data Sheet” (PDF: 318127067) has to say about the error code E15:

15 – ESEC Self test fail. 1) Check harness going to ESEC-UIB connection. 2) Replace ESEC-UIB.

Armed with that and the suggestions posters mentioned on the Appliance Parts Pros forum, I ran through the following troubleshooting steps:

Checking Wiring Harness (Part #318402354)

Checked the wires between the oven relay board (Part# 316443916) and the ESEC-UIB (Part #316576452) to ensure they were all properly connected. I even swapped the wiring from the known working range but no luck.

Replacing the ESEC-UIB (Part #316576452)

The ESEC-UIB or Electronic Surface Element Control User Interface Board is located on the lower right hand side of the instrument panel. It is underneath the element controls.

Replacing the ESEC Relay Board (Part# 316443916)

Now we’re getting into the suggestions proposed by forum members. The ESEC Relay Board is a bit tricky to remove because it is nestled between a black plastic cover and the bottom of the touch panel. It’s possible to remove the board by unscrewing the Power Supply Board (Part# 316535200) that’s attached to the plastic cover. Once removed, you will reveal a hole that can access the Relay Board’s remaining screws.

Replacing the Touch Panel (Part # 318387122)

If all else fails, it’s time to replace the “Control Assembly, glass, black, w/interface” aka the touch panel. This is the most expensive part (excess of $1000 CAD) and the most difficult/annoying to replace. It requires you to remove the ribbon cables connecting the various boards to the touch panel, loosen screws that hold the glass top in place and pry away the touch panel itself.

Pro tip: The touch panel is held down by an adhesive strip along the front of the panel. I just rocked it back and forth until the adhesive weakened.

Once I replaced the touch panel, error code E15 did not return.

Replacing the Touch Panel’s ribbon cables?

I was hoping to save hundreds of dollars by replacing the ribbon cables connecting the touch panel and the ESEC-UIB but no luck. The error persisted.

46 Responses

1. happy with your-site

Thanks for the write-up, I got lucky and my E15 problem (that had gotten progressively worse) is now gone after changing 316576452.

2. Jey

I have the same problem with code E15 and before investing too much money to fix it, I would like to know how long have you corrected the problem? Has the problem really disappeared?

• No_Style

Oops. Missed this comment. It’s still fixed!

3. Philip Moore

This fault is interesting. If any of the stove top elements are switched on, even very low on the warming element, the fault doesnt come on. About 5 mins after switching it off, it comes on. I am wondering if the there is a thermocouple that is slightly faulty.
    My issue started after a self clean of the oven and the fault came on right at the end of the cycle.

• Paul N

I experience the same fault as Pilip. Initially to get around the E15 fault I would put a knife and a bit of water on the touch panel which will trigger E11 after a while, with this error you can turn on the stove top element on. Any recommendation on how to fix this issue?

• Eugene

Philip, I noticed the same: E15 does not come on if any of the elements are on. Since I am not using the center warmer, I disconnected its power on the relay board. When the disconnected warmer is “on” the controller does not throw E15. The root cause, however appears to be in the location of the board. On my range it is located in the middle of the oven wall, about 2 ft below the other control boards. I wish I noticed this unfortunate placement earlier. The relay board must be “toasted” by now.

4. Nicky

Do you know where I can get the ribbon cable, it got damaged when we were changing the board…. Anyone?

• Mathieu

Hi Nicky,

Did you eventually found out ? I ve tthe same problem.

M.

• No_Style

Unfortunately not. Sorry. I didn’t have to look for those parts.

5. Janet

If you leave the stove off and do not use it is it dangerous if not repaired?

6. Ed

Well I know what starts the E15 error code. I put my cell phone on the control panel for about 5 seconds and the error code came on. A few minutes later the beeping started.

7. Mathieu

Hi,

I am in the process of changing the ESEC-UIB (Part #316576452) but I’ve been a bit rough with the grey cables that connects the board to the touchscreen. Would you have the part number for this ?

Would you consider changing the power supply (316535200 Board, power supply, 8V, (2)) for the ESEC-UIB (Part #316576452) ?

Thanks,
    M.

8. William Cresswell

Just did the ESEC-UIB (Part #316576452) replacement after “tricking” the unit many times by pushing the door lock button to shut off the very annoying beep beep from error code E15. $150 circuit board did the trick. Taking the ribbon connections off the panel once it is dropped by removing the shiney phillips screws wasn’t a bad job if you take your TIME and use a tiny screwdriver to pry on first one end of the ribbon connection and then the other of each ribbon connection. Once you have the board dangling from the ribbons connected to the new board this is a 2 minute reconnect and re-install the shiney screws holding the board…need not put all the screws back as two is sufficient to hold the board in place. Same thing with the spring screws on either end of the control panel housing…. not necessary to put it back as the panel stays well put with the two bottom screws and the screws securing the corners of the panel to the frame. Those screws are hidden up in the corners and are NOT phillips head…use a square drive instead. Replacing this panel is a piece of cake compared to other jobs on the stove.

• Emily

Hi William, just left a comment about the cooktop not working but the oven was still functioning properly with E15. Did you experience this?

Any help appreciated!

9. Emily

Has anyone experienced a problem where even with the E15 code beeping, the cooktop was not working but the oven still worked?
    Deciding on what to try first! Thanks!

• Lacey Cook

Mine is doing this now…did you find any answers?

10. CJ

Thank you for that detailed troubleshooting – I had the E15 error and changed the ESEC-UEIB – now works again. Although the board was over 200 Dollars, it saved me money by not calling someone in.

11. Rick

Hi. Thanks for this write up. My E-15 started with a spill on the touch panel – which would usually clear itself, but eventually with more use (and spills) it would not clear. It just beeped constantly. Called a repair service – they wouldn’t touch it. Solution in my case was to replace ESEC-UIB. Found the information on this site very helpful – especially the reference to part numbers – as I found the schematic difficult to follow and likely would have ended up ordering the wrong part. Thanks for spending the time to put this together.

• Maya

Hi Rick. I have an new post (below) on the E15 error code on Electrolux induction stove. I see by your post, that you may already have fixed yours, but this info may be helpful going forward to prevent further issues. Good luck!

12. Max

I have the freestanding version of this oven (cew30if6isa). I’m getting Error 15 now, and assume the parts are the exact same across different models of this oven, but the location would differ. Does anyone know where to find the parts catalog, etc. for this specific model?

13. Maya

FIXED!! I found an easy fix for mine after a year of frustration (error code 15) & having an experienced repair man come in, only to have him spend a half hour on the phone with his ‘troubleshooting company ‘. Bottom line was “Don’t spend the money in trying to get it fixed. It will cost thousands & there is no warranty on the parts, once they are installed.” He told me to just get rid of it. That visit cost me $150. For about a year, I would have occasional E15 codes on the 2 front burners. It progressively got worse, to the point that the stove didn’t even have to be on, it would continue to beep an error code. Just so that I wouldn’t have to keep flipping off the stove breaker, I would lock the stove & that would prevent the code from occurring. The FIX – Last week, I was cleaning off the stovetop & saw a crumb partially under the rubber seal. I took a flat plastic toothpick & started to slide it under the rubber to scrape out any debris. Well, I continued to scrape & clean to whole perimeter of the seal. There was a lot of accumulated dried debris from spills over the years, that I was able to remove. My stove is 7 years old but in excellent condition. I kept it locked during the cleanup. After a couple of days, I noticed that the error code E15 hadn’t gone off. I realized that the accumulated debris under the black rubber seal was equivalent to spills on the control panel. The only difference to spills, is the fact that it takes longer to accumulate debris over time, so it would make sense that the ‘problem ‘ would get progressively worse. I was also very diligent about wiping spills immediately & keeping the stovetop clean. Please try this before spending any money on ‘fixing’ it. You could save a lot of money. I sure hope that this works for you.

On another note, I have a very expensive Maytag fridge that was having issues with the water dispenser. The control panel on that would act up, freeze, reboot itself continually, and then be normal for a while, but it was always acting up. It too got progressively worse over time. When the repair man came to look at my stove, I asked him to get me an estimate for the fridge control panel. Well, it was going to be $1300.00 (incl taxes & installation). Geez, I could buy a new fridge for that! I decided not to replace it for the time being. Then, I had an thought. There were fridge magnets on the fridge (some were heavy guass ones). I removed all magnets, and after a couple of days, the control panel started to act more normal. It took about a month, before it was acting completely normal. I’m not a scientist, but I know that magnets definitely have an effect on electrical fields. If you have an issue, then keep magnets off of your appliances.

I hope that this information is helpful to anyone going through the same thing.

• Bill

Apparently we cook more than we clean because cleaning the gasket did the trick. I was surprised how much junk built up under the gasket. We were getting e15 errors randomly but were getting worse, even when we weren’t using the range. Thank you for posting!!

• Bill

Darn it. Storage rated getting the e15 error again. Oh well, at least the cooktop is clean.

• Maya

Hi Bill. There may be a spot that you missed. Just go back & clean it again. Mine has been error free since. Good luck!

• Maya

Just an FYI… it’s been almost 4 months & I haven’t had an error code yet. I hope that you all are getting the same results.

• JohnP

I too suffered by the E15 error code. Until I stumbled upon these comments suggesting cleaning under the control panel gasket. Used an old thin credit card and cut a bit of a hook on one of the corners. Then carefully slid it under the gasket and then moved it around the perimeter of the gasket. A lot of stuff came out and it immediately stopped the E15 code. Much cheaper solution than replacing electronic boards.

• Bruce N

E15 error code came up randomly one day after 7 years of trouble free operation. Turned the supply breaker off and then back on after a few minutes, but the E15 error persisted. Saw your post about cleaning under the gasket so decided to give it a try. With the power turned off, I used a fine metal skewer (the kind you use to lace up a turkey) and carefully ran it around the entire length of the gasket. Quite a bit of dried gunk came out! Powered back up and error code has cleared. It’s only been a week, but I’m cautiously optimistic that the problem has been resolved.
      I noticed that the gasket does not provide a uniform seal with the touch panel glass, so not surprised by the buildup of dried spills. Over time this buildup is enough to confuse the capacitive touch-sensing circuits and the stove responds by throwing up the E15 code. That’s my theory.
      Anyway, thanks for the advice. Probably saved myself $1,000 + in repair bills.

14. jeff

any answers for a f14 error? induction works but oven does not.. as soon as i touch the control panel to turn oven on it flashes f14 thanks

15. Andy

Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to disassemble the stove to install a new ESEC-UIB?

16. Phil

Thanks everyone for the input, very helpful!! Been having the same e15 on and off for a couple years, now, recently almsot non stop. Just tried the cleaning the gasket trick. Let ya know how it goes. Thanks Maya.

17. GLORIA R MACHADO

I was just given a estimate of 1400.00 to fix my E-15 problem. Did not go for it. Just read your comment on how you fixed yours. Mind is sparkling clean, but, I’m getting up now and do exactly as you detailed your solution. Will let you know if it works.

18. Rick Holloway

Anyone have E21 issue? We went through the E15 issue and were told it was mostly moisture, for us it only happened when really humid. E15 has been gone for a couple years we are now on to E21…

19. bernie

just replaced my relay board, and thought i was good.. it was quite frustrating when i heard the beep two nights later. just read most of the post, and will also try to clean the gasket… (wish i started with that!)

20. Hélène Béland

Hi
    I have been having this E15 error code for a while, intermittently and usually during hot and humid weather. But now it is constant and I cannot use burners. I tried Maya’s trick of cleaning the rubber gasket, does not solve the problem. I have read all the tricks posted.
    I see that quite a few people have this issue. Has anyone tried talking to the manufacturer? It does not appear normal to me that so many people have the same problem on this top of the line appliance. I went to the retailer and the recommended talking to the company

• Ted

We have exact same problem. Contacted Mississauga Canadian company. Told diagnostic needed. If over $1000 they MIGHT help out! That’s it.

21. Nellie

Arrived home after 10 days away to be greeted by the familiar E15 “music”. Bought the free-standing range in 2011–and will never cook on anything other than induction.

The first thing I did, after unplugging the stove, was to clean the range top and the touch panel. I could see nothing. The next thing I did was to congratulate myself for buying a back-up $150 circuit board the last time, which was in January. I am always careful to clean up and remove all spills and moisture from the stovetop and under the control panel. It’s been 12 hours since the breaker was thrown and it is still beeping when I plug in the stove. Have not been able to use the lock or turn on any burner. I will replace the board, if I have to. In the meantime, I wanted to thank you, Maya and all.

22. Nellie

I had a certified Electrolux repairperson exchange the existing mother board with the new one. I am still getting E15 errors but have been able to use all burners and oven if I throw the breaker and the lock. I am shopping for a new stove in the meantime and considering a touch panel replacement.

Does anyone have experience with a new touch panel? Is it working?

Has anyone found a new induction range they would recommend?

Thank you.

23. Wendy

Thank you so much for the info on the E15 error. We’ve had our stove for many years and the E15 error was happening more and more frequently. We cleaned under the rubber with a toothpick. Wow, couldn’t believe how dirty. Never thought to clean under there. All has been good since, although only been a few days. Keeping our fingers crossed. Thanks again! :}

24. Gayle C Devall

Nellie, Read Maya’s comments above.

25. Emily S.

The E-15 would pop up after using the elements, had the board replaced, but Oven still worked, Technician said the ovens are on a different Board.

26. Anita

I also was having the same E15 error. I cleaned the rubber gasket and problem fixed!! Thanks for all the help!!

27. Bob

Guys, when you say cleaning the rubber gasket solved the issue E 15, is it the rubber around the touch control panel? The corners of the rubber seems to be stuck with some kind of glue. How detail does the cleaning need to be – does the rubber need to be taken off and cleaned or simply cleaning around it will work? Thanks in advance

• No_Style

Correct. It is the rubber around the touch control panel. People often clean underneath it because there may be debris or residue trapped underneath.